Monday, July 25, 2016

Holy harvest, Batman! It's time for pickling!

Here in Wisconsin it's been quite humid and we've had deluge rains...which...lead to... Holy harvest, Batman!  It's time for pickling!  And consuming...and freezing... :)



These last few years with too many peppers to count and lovely CSA and Z garden vegetables, I've found that I enjoy "quick pickling" as a way of preserving these gorgeous veggies.  This year, I'm doing the "tried and true" peppers/carrots/onions/garlic mixture, but I'm also pickling a few new versions:  tomatillos and fennel, cherry tomatoes, and my own version of regular pickles, aka cucumber "chips".  We'll see how these turn out.  I hope they will be "winners".



Here's the quick pickling recipe for those that are curious:

Brine:
3 1/2 c. water
2 1/4 c. vinegar (I used a mixture of white vinegar and apple cider vinegar)
6-7 T. kosher salt
6-7 T. organic sugar
dried herbs (parsley, dill, sometimes oregano) and whole black peppercorns

Veggies:
variety of peppers, sliced (I use my mandolin)
peeled, rough chopped garlic cloves
peeled, sliced carrots (again, I use my mandolin for a consistent cut)
peeled and chopped white onion




Pack veggies into clear, dry jars.  Dissolve salt and sugar in water first, then add vinegar.  Heat on stove until boiling.  Remove from heat.  Pour over peppers in jars.  Cover immediately.  Let cool on counter, then refrigerate.

Ready in about7-10 days for eating!  Num num!

**I use upcycled jars for my pickled goodies - the red and white lid jars are Bonne Maman jam jars (aren't they cute?!) and jars from other pickled goodies, jams, spices.**

No comments:

Post a Comment