Today's the big FOOTBALL day - Super Bowl! I look forward to all the snacks and food more so than the game, even when the team I normally route for is in it! :)
Homemade salsa and guac are frequent foods/snacks in this household as we are lovers of Tex Mex! Today I'll kindly share my SIMPLE salsa and SIMPLE guac recipe. I hope these will become favorites in your household as well!
**Just for the record the texture and taste of this salsa is similar to Pasqual's salsa, for my Madison, WI friends. Pasqual's has yummy salsa!**
1 can organic diced, NO SALT tomatoes (I like the no salt kind since I can control the salt in the salsa - I like Muir Glen brand)
2-3 fresh garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs included! (less depending on how spicy you like it and how spicy the pepper is!)
1 generous handful of fresh cilantro
salt/pepper to taste
ground cumin to taste (adds a nice smokey flavor)
1/2 small onion (optional - sometimes I add an onion, sometimes I don't, depends on my mood and taste-factor)
*Double this recipe if you enjoy salsa as a snack . . .that's what I do!
1) In a food processor, combine all ingredients.
2) Hit "chop" and whir for about a minute or so.
3) Pour into serving dish and serve with yummy tortilla chips! :)
You can omit the food processor step if you like chunkier salsa, which I do sometimes. Just be sure to finely chop your onions, garlic, jalapenos, and cilantro. Combine all ingredients in serving dish, stir and serve!
3-4 ripe, black avocados (Haas or similar brand is best. . .and ripe avocado should give a bit to the touch, but still be firm)
2-3 T. Simple Salsa
salt/pepper/ground cumin to taste
1) Cut avocados in half, remove pit.
2) Scoop avocado flesh into dish.
3) Add salt/pepper/ground cumin to taste, as well as 2-3 T. Simple Salsa.
Again, if you like your guac chunkier, you can add the chunkier-version of the salsa (as stated above) to the avocados.
4) Smash mixture with a potato masher until well blended and smooth - even for a chunkier version I do this. You can also feel free to mash with a fork.
5) Serve with your favorite tortilla chips. . .and the salsa above!