If you love loaded baked potatoes like I do, then you'll love this recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Soup! :) It's a favorite in my household. It's starting to be soup season, aka fall! :) I have not tried a low fat version of this recipe but I cannot imagine that it would be hard to substitute low fat ingredients.
Enjoy! It's delish!
I do double this recipe (except the bacon, as the amount given is plenty for a double batch!) to feed my family of four and to have a few lunches for the week as well.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
1 lb. bacon, diced (you can use about 1/2 lb. if that 1 lb. amount freak you out!)
1 onion, diced (I sometimes add a bit more!)
5 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 c. chicken stock (I have used veggie stock as well)
3 T. butter
3 T. flour
1 1/2 c. milk (I'll be honest here and mention I use half and half)
3 green onions, sliced
3/4 c. shredded cheese, divided
1/2 t. black pepper (or slightly more. . .I love using cracked black pepper!)
Sour cream for garnish
1. In large pot cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain and set aside. Drain all but 2 T. of bacon grease from the pot. Cook the onions in the remaining bacon grease for about 5 minutes, until tender.
2. Add potatoes and chicken to the onions in the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer about 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. With a slotted spoon, remove a few scoops of potatoes. Place potatoes in a bowl and mash with a fork. Set aside. These will act as a thickener for the soup.
3. In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Slowly stir in to stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer. Stir in mashed potatoes.
4. Add 1/2 c. shredded cheese, 3/4 of the bacon, and 1/2 of the sliced green onions to the pot. Add pepper to taste. Stir to combine all ingredients. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
5. To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and top with shredded cheese, bacon, green onions, and sour cream.