Saturday, January 21, 2012

Apple Crisp on a Cold Winter Day




BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! It's cold here in WISCONSIN! What better way to warm up the house/kitchen and tummies than with Apple Crisp! MMMMMMMM I am truly not a baker but there are some recipes that I can make and that turn out. . .and this is one of them! It's a tried and true recipe that I tweaked from my Better Homes "New Cookbook"! :) I'm not a fan of apples with cinnamon - yes, I know, I know, I'm weird one - so this is sans cinnamon. Sorry. . .but I don't think it is needed!
Apple Crisp Sans Cinnamon
10-11 medium apples, peeled/cored/cubed (I used a combination of Granny Smiths and a sweeter red/green apple)
4-8 T. sugar, depending on how sweet you would like it (I tend to under-sweeten, as the crisp topping is sweeter)
1 c. regular rolled oats
1 c. packed brown sugar (can use a little less)
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. butter (I use European style, salted, as the salt cuts the tartness of the apples a bit)
1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts

1. Combine apples and sugar in a bowl. Pour into a slightly greased/sprayed 9x13 glass baking dish.
2. For the crisp topping, combine oats, brown sugar, flour, nuts in a bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles chunky crumbs (I tend to make mine a bit chunkier, not fine, as I like the chunky, rustic texture!).
3. Sprinkle crisp topping over sugared apples.
4. Bake in 375 degree over for 35 or so minutes, until bubbly. Fruit should be tender and topping should be crispy/crunchy!

Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment